Today is your 30th birthday. I won’t tell everyone who this letter is for, since everyone believes that you are turning 28 and I don’t want to give away your secret (Plus, if you are turning 28, that means I am only 32, so your secret is safe with me.).
I just want to enlighten you on turning 30, since I am braving this unknown territory ahead of you. There are a few things I have discovered since turning 30 that might make this transition a little easier for you.
1. In your 30’s, you will finally figure out “who you are.” Isn’t this the elusive goal that we are always searching for? Well, when you become a woman in your 30’s, you will finally know. You will become comfortable with yourself and what you stand for and what you believe and what you are doing.
2. In your 30’s, you will stop being scared. You will gain courage as you move into your 30’s. You will gain boldness to speak your mind and stand up for yourself. You will have to learn to watch your words so you don’t hurt the feelings of the girls in their 20″s.
3. In your 30’s, you will stop caring about others’ opinion of you. You won’t spend time worrying about what other people might be saying or thinking about you. You will spend your time and energy taking care of your family, and you won’t mind (most of the time) that it will take all of your time and energy to do that.
4. In your 30’s, you will learn how to take care of yourself. You will really come into your body and your beauty, and you will care about what you put into and onto your body. You will learn to love yourself.
And the best, most important thing I want to tell you:
5. In your 30’s, you will understand that you are fearfully and wonderfully made by God, and you will grasp the fact that He loves you despite your faults. This is a deep, beautiful understanding that some women never quite get, but I know that you will.
Now that you are 30, you will stop worrying about little things that don’t matter, and let me tell you, it is a liberating experience.
I pray for you that you will make the best of it, that you will realize God at work around you and join Him in His work. I pray that you will be a woman who is courageous and dangerous, because that is what this world needs.
And I love you, girl.
That is a very sweet and insightful blog! She-who-shall-not-be-named is lucky to have such a wonderful, caring, and talented big sister. If all of those things are true, I’m sure she won’t mind turning 30 too much! And I bet she loves you too!!!